Are you all swept up in the craziness of fall? It’s funny how life just goes from zero to sixty in about 1 minute right after Labor Day. I know cooking is usually the first thing to get taken off the to-do list when life gets busy – it’s way easier to make a pass through the drive through or get take out on the way home from picking up the kids from soccer, or a late night at work. But let’s see if I can convince you otherwise…
When I don’t have time or energy to cook, I usually turn to avocados. Their velvety smoothness and creaminess comes from heart healthy monounsaturated fat, and because they’re pretty high in fat, they’re also really filling – but in a healthy way. They’re good in so many dishes – just check my avocado Pinterest board – but I love them on toast or on a crusty bread sandwich. Just add some sliced tomato, fresh basil and mozzarella (I also love a handful of arugula) and call that dinner.
Make sure you drizzle the entire thing with extra virgin olive oil and dig in with a fork and knife – that makes it feel more like dinner 🙂
Avocado Caprese Sandwich
- 1 12- inch baguette or chiabatta bread sliced in half lengthwise, lightly sprayed with olive oil and toasted.
- 1 avocado pit removed
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- optional 1 bunch arugula or other greens
- about 3 ounces of fresh mozzarella
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Slice each half of the avocado into lengthwise slices, and using a spoon, remove the slices from the skin. Lay avocado slices across one half of the bread.
- Slice tomato into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay on top of avocado.
- Lay basil and arugula on top of tomato.
- Cut mozzarella into thin slices and layer on top of greens.
- Drizzle olive oil over sandwich all, sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper and top with other slice of bread.
Do you have any favorite avocado sandwiches?