Are you getting geared up for Cinco de Mayo? I am, even though the only connection I have with our neighbors over the border is some great vacations. Apparently, this holiday is a much bigger deal in the U.S. than it is in Mexico. Whether you celebrate Cinco de Mayo because of your Mexican heritage, or like the rest of us, you just need an excuse to enjoy some fabulous Mexican food and drink, it’s time to plan your menus people!
If you want to make an appetizer that’s just a little bit more special than chips and salsa, but you don’t want to stress too much over your fiesta fare, try quesadillas. Mexico’s equivalent of our grilled cheese sandwich, quesadillas are commonly made by street vendors throughout Mexico. They can be made with cheese alone, or any filling imaginable. I love the sweet, spicy, and smoky flavor of this recipe. To make it super easy, use rotisserie chicken, and if you’re like me and are mango-cutting challenged, here’s a helpful video.
Chicken Quesadillas With Mango Chipotle
- 1 cup cubed mango 1 medium
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo plus 1 tsp sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 med size 8-inch flour tortillas
Chipotle Crema (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- zest from 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- salt to taste
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and set sauce aside.
- If serving Crema, mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Use extra lime juice to thin if necessary and set aside.
- Lightly toast tortillas on a hot pan until they just start to brown and puff up.
- Spread mango chipotle sauce over one side of each tortilla.
- On one half of each tortilla, place approximately 1/4 cup shredded chicken and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Fold tortilla over in half, return to pan and heat just until cheese melts.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and drizzle with Chipotle Crema if desired