These chicken mango quesadillas will quickly get you into the mood for Cinco de Mayo. Cut these into bite-sized pieces and pair them with a Margarita or glass of Sangria for a delicious summer appetizer or a light dinner.
Are you getting geared up for Cinco de Mayo? I am, even though the only connection I have with our neighbors over the border is some great vacations. Apparently, this holiday is a much bigger deal in the U.S. than it is in Mexico.
Whether you celebrate Cinco de Mayo because of your Mexican heritage, or like the rest of us, you just need an excuse to enjoy some fabulous Mexican food and drink, it's time to plan your menus people!
I always love to make a batch of my roasted restaurant-style salsa for a Mexican themed party. But if you want to make an extra appetizer that's just a little bit more out of the box than chips and salsa, try these chicken quesadillas. Mexico’s equivalent of our grilled cheese sandwich, quesadillas are commonly made by street vendors throughout Mexico. You can make them with cheese alone, or any filling imaginable. I love the sweet, spicy, and smoky flavor of this recipe.
To make it super easy, use rotisserie chicken, and if you're like me and are mango-cutting challenged, you can also use frozen mango chunks. Just make sure to thaw them completely.
Chicken Mango Quesadillas
- 1 cup cubed mango 1 medium
- ½ cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo plus 1 teaspoon sauce
- salt pinch or to taste
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 flour tortillas 8-inch
Chipotle Crema (optional)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- zest from ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- salt to taste
- Place the mango cubes, cilantro, lime juice, garlic cloves, and chipotle pepper in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add salt to taste and set sauce aside.
- If serving Crema, mix the yogurt, lime juice and zest, and adobo sauce together until smooth.
- Use extra lime juice to thin if necessary. Add a pinch of salt or more to taste and set aside.
- Lightly toast tortillas on a hot pan until they just start to brown and puff up.
- Spread mango chipotle sauce over one side of each tortilla.
- On one half of each tortilla, place approximately ¼ cup shredded chicken and ¼ cup cheese.
- Fold tortilla over in half, return to pan and heat just until cheese melts.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and drizzle with Chipotle Crema if desired
- Serve immediately