Holy please stop the calendar from flipping so fast – it’s already the end of July! July 22 to be exact, which means that it’s time for a Recipe ReDux post, but I also just realized we’re heading into the last unofficial month of summer already! Yikes! To make myself feel just a little bit better about the fact that time really does fly when you get old, I have a decadent little treat to share today. The theme for this month’s ReDux is A Spirited ReDux, and we were challenged to share our healthy recipe with spirit- ie spirits, extracts, and other alcohols. I didn’t realize it until I started looking through some of the recipes on this blog, but I guess I do use wine and spirits quite often in my cooking. Of course I love to cook with wine – it’s essential in my risotto recipes, and I love a touch of sherry in my Butternut Squash and Green Apple Soup. I couldn’t live without homemade Bourbon Vanilla, and let’s not forget about my Merlot Berry and Dark Chocolate Sorbet. So if that’s not enough spirited recipes to tempt you yet, how does Kahlua Cocount Ice Cream ~ topped off with a Kahlua laced hot fudge sauce sound?
OK. I might have overlooked the “healthy” part of this recipe challenge. But as you know, I am a big fan of “all things in moderation”. You definitely don’t need to use full fat coconut milk in this recipe – it is so ridiculously rich and creamy as it is.
So make this recipe when you’re having a few friends over for dinner (or just dessert), and enjoy just a small serving while you savor every minute of the rest of summer. FYI as usual, I adapted the base for this ice cream from my favorite ice cream cookbook ever – Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home. I’m hoping you have an ice cream maker. If not – get on it!!
- 1-14 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mix about 2 tablespoons coconut milk with cornstarch in a ramekin to make a slurry and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together remaining coconut milk, heavy cream, Kahlua and sugar until combined, and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and boil for 4 minutes.
- Whisk in corn starch mixture and continue to boil for 1 more minute.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Stir together cream cheese and salt, and whisk into hot milk/cream mixture. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour ice cream base into a covered container and refrigerate until cool, at least an hour or overnight.
- When cool to cold, pour ice cream base into a frozen ice cream canister and churn for about 30 minutes or until thick and creamy. Freeze for at least 4 hours until firm.
- For sauce, combine chocolate, Kahlua, and cream in a one cup glass measuring cup and microwave until melted, about 1 minute. Check after 40 seconds and stir. Add sea salt and cayenne pepper when melted and stir well.
- Refrigerate sauce until ready to use, and warm in a microwave for about 30 seconds before serving.
This post contains amazon affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, the price will be the same, but I will receive a small commission from Amazon. Thanks for supporting Craving Something Healthy!
Is summer flying by for you too? Do you make your own ice cream?
Don’t forget to check out some of the other Spirited Recipes from the kitchens of the Recipe ReDuxers ~ and Eat well!
[inlinkz_linkup id=419761 mode=1]