These Chicken Salad Sandwich Bowls are everything you love about your favorite homemade chicken salad sandwich – salty, sweet, crispy and chewy, but in a waaaay easier to eat, and lower carb bowl.
Today is a Recipe ReDux day, and for June’s theme, they’ve asked members to redux our favorite sandwich – in a healthier and updated kind of way.
My favorite has to be a chicken salad sandwich. I much prefer it over turkey, chicken, tuna, roast beef, and definitely over a PBJ (I think I’m the only person on earth who has never eaten and will never eat a PBJ). I’m pretty picky about my chicken salad though – no dark meat, NO SKIN or anything that isn’t meat, just a light amount of mayo or even Greek yogurt, a bit of celery, maybe some cranberries, and definitely grapes.
The thing is, that’s a lot of ingredients to have to cook, cut, chop, etc just for a sandwich. And then there’s the bread, which I’ve been trying to cut back on. And as hard as you try with chicken salad sandwiches (or even this chicken salad lettuce rollup sandwich) pieces of your sandwich inevitably fall out and you have to scoop them up with a fork.
So, what if we just took all of those yummy ingredients, and dumped them into a bowl??? I think everything tastes better when you eat it out of a bowl.
A bowl also lets you get really creative with your chicken salad. I added my celery and some black grapes, but also, pistachios, cranberries, green onion, pumpkin seeds, and… just a bit of blue cheese. And I topped it off with a sweet creamy Greek yogurt poppyseed dressing for the win.
Here’s my other favorite thing about this bowl – since I try to eat a lower carb diet, I scrapped the bread, and made some crisp flatbread crackers out of whole wheat lavash bread. Just enough for some crunch, but nice and light on the starch.
A chicken salad sandwich bowl is clearly the best way to turn a basic old sandwich into a pretty fabulous summer dinner.
And the best part about this recipe? It makes 2 servings with half the work. So you can share, or save the leftovers for lunch or dinner tomorrow. Just hold the dressing until you’re ready to eat.
Lower Carb Chicken Salad Sandwich Bowls
- 1 piece whole wheat lavash flatbread sprayed with cooking oil
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless seasoned chicken breast grilled or roasted
- 4 cups Mixed baby greens, or purchased bag of chopped kale salad
- 1/2 cup black or red grapes
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios these can be purchased already shelled
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-2 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 2 ounces blue cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the grill or a large skillet or griddle to high heat, and toast the flatbread for about 1-2 minutes on each side, until it just starts to turn golden in spots. Remove it from the heat and let it cool while you prepare the salad.
- Slice the chicken breast into slices or bite-sized pieces. Place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss everything together.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together all of the salad dressing ingredients and whisk well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Pour about half the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine. Add additional dressing if desired, or store any leftover salad dressing in a jar in the refrigerator.
- Cut the bread into 4 strips.
- Portion the salad into 2 bowls. and and serve 2 strips with each salad.