Well if that isn’t a mouthful! Tricky to say, but sooo good to eat.
I’ve never been a smoker – but this month’s Recipe ReDux challenged members to Start Smoking in the New Year. Say what?? What those clever healthy-eating gals really wanted us to do is create a healthy dish that’s heated up with smoke and/or spiciness. So I’ll say it again – I’ve never been a smoker. Oh, I’ve tried to experiment with those hickory or applewood chips, and those fancy mesquite wood boards. I’ve soaked them, and followed the directions exactly on more occasions than I care to count, but each time I nearly burn the house down when the wood catches on fire. And for me, it always does.
So for my smoky dish, I used chipotle chili pepper and fire roasted tomatoes. Easy. Done. Spicy and subtly smoky with no fire extinguishers needed. Plus, I got to play with my new slow cooker (or is it still called a crockpot?). Who knew you could make cornbread in a slow cooker?! Yep. You can!
For me, pot pie is the ultimate comfort food. I usually make a traditional chicken and vegetable or mushroom version with a white sauce, but I decided to step out of the box this time. So glad I did, because this barbecue chicken pot pie was a hit. I jazzed it up with sweet potatoes because they’re yum and healthy, and a bit of corn for some crunch. I think a cool and tangy slaw would be a perfect side dish if you want one.
Slow Cooker Smokey Barbecue Chicken Pot Pie with Cornbread CrustPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves smashed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle chili powder more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 ounce can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large sweet potato cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 batch of cornbread batter - any recipe that makes 8-10 servings
- Lay the chicken breasts in a slow cooker, and set to low.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, place the onions, garlic, ketchup and apple cider, and pulse about 10 times to break up the onion and garlic.
- Add mustard, molases, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder. Pulse about 5 more times until ingredients are combined.
- Add tomatoes and pulse 2-3 more times to combine, leaving some tomato chunks.
- Add salt and pepper, and adjust to taste.
- Pour sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Turn slow cooker heat up to high.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks, and add corn and sweet potato. Stir to combine.
- Pour cornbread batter evenly over all.
- Cover, and cook on high for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
What are you smoking? Have you ever played with a real backyard smoker? Have you nearly started your house on fire with those smoking chips or boards?
Don’t forget to stop by and visit the other members of the Recipe ReDux to see what they’re smoking up in their kitchens!
[inlinkz_linkup id=480239 mode=1]