Spring Egg and Chickpea Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
The creamy avocado dressing with fresh lemon and tarragon makes this egg-topped salad a springtime favorite.
Is anyone else out there craving something vegetable-y and healthy that’s NOT soup? Spring has definitely arrived here in Arizona. The desert is in full bloom, everyone is sneezing like crazy, and we’ve got temps in the 80s, and even low 90s, which means it’s time to pack away the stock pot, ’cause it’s salad weather!
It’s a good thing I like salads, because I eat them A LOT. For most of the year, in fact. My biggest challenge is how to keep them interesting. Even though I love to cook, I admit I can be a bit lazy when it comes to making dinner night after night, especially when it gets hot, so I really love to make salads that double as a complete meal. No side dish salads around here. To make it as a staple in my kitchen, they have to provide a good dose of veggies, a bit of whole grain or maybe some beans, a serving of protein, and some healthy fat – in every bite.
I’m currently crushing on this delicious spring salad. It’s super simple to make, and pretty enough to serve to company for Easter or a spring brunch. It’s perfect exactly as is for a light meal, or top it with a piece of grilled salmon if you’ve got a bigger appetite.
Have you ever used avocado as a salad dressing? It provides an AMAZINGLY rich and creamy texture, and it boosts the nutrients in this salad even more. Plus – hello, lemon and tarragon – who knew you were so delicious with avocados? Oh, and if you do serve it topped with a piece of salmon, be sure to slather some more of this dressing on it. Yes. Please. More. Thank you.
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 15- oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 8 radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 large seedless cucumber peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 scallion
- water to thin
- Peel and slice the hard-boiled eggs. Set aside.
- Combine the greens, chickpeas, radishes and cucumber in a large bowl. Toss lightly to combine.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients except for the water in a blender, and puree until smooth. Add water to thin the dressing to the desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- To serve, portion the mixed salad onto 2 plates, and top with egg slices. Drizzle with dressing.
It makes a delicious vegetable dip too!
Are you still in soup-season? Or have you transitioned to salad weather? Either way…
Oh I love tarragon! This sounds amazing. Off to the grocery store! 🙂
Me too Sara! And I always feel like it’s one herb that doesn’t get enough love 🙂