Heart Healthy Mediterranean Vegetable Lentil Soup
This hearty soup is packed with vegetables, lentils and delicious Mediterranean flavors
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 medium celery stalks diced
- 5 medium carrots diced
- 1 parsnip (or 1 small potato) diced
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 8 cups low sodium chicken bone broth (or beef, vegetable)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 3 cups chopped kale (or spinach or other leafy green)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (or broccoli) very small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt or more to taste
Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium high heat.
Sauté the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsnips for about 10 minutes or until they start to turn golden.
Add the pesto and spices and stir to combine.
Add the stock and tomatoes. Turn the heat up to high and bring the soup to a boil.
Add the lentils, peas, and kale or other greens if using. Let the soup come back to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Cover, and let simmer for about 40 minutes.
Add the cauliflower florets, pepper and salt to taste. Cover and continue to simmer for another 15-20 minutes until all vegetables and lentils are tender.
Taste, and adjust any seasoning with salt and additional pesto if desired.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1029mg | Potassium: 1003mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9143IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 5mg