Wild Mackerel Salad with Creamy Kefir Herb Dressing
This bight and colorful salad is packed with protein and healthy fats to keep the winter blues away
Dressing (makes about 1 1/4 cups - use any extra as a fresh vegetable dip)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium avocado pitted and scooped from skin
- 3/4 cup plain, nonfat kefir
- 1 tablespoon each fresh tarragon, basil, chives, parsley
- 1/4 cup water (or as needed to thin)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
Salad (makes 2 dinner-size servings)
- 3 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 small golden beet peeled, sliced thin
- 4 medium radishes sliced thin
- 2 medium rainbow (or regular) carrots peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup cooked red lentils
- 1 hard-boiled egg peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons salted, roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 4.4 oz package Wild Planet wild mackerel drained
For the Dressing
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust any herbs or salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing into a jar or lidded container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
For the Salad
Combine the greens, beet, radish and carrot slices in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Toss with about ¼ to ½ cup of the dressing (as desired).
Sprinkle with the lentils and egg slices.
Portion the salad on to 2 plates. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds and top each salad with half of the wild mackerel. Serve immediately.
If making this ahead of time, combine all of the salad ingredients but hold the dressing until just before serving.
Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 192mg | Sodium: 577mg | Potassium: 1629mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 22955IU | Vitamin C: 67.9mg | Calcium: 197mg | Iron: 6.4mg