A few years ago, I got an ice cream maker for a Valentine’s Day present – I’ll take a new kitchen gadget over roses any day! I love the idea of making healthier frozen treats, and my ice cream maker has become one of my favorite kitchen toys. I pulled it out kind of early this year to make the most amazing Valentine’s Day dessert treat for you. I was going for something sexy and decadent, since it is Valentine’s Day after all, but also heart healthy, since February is American Heart Month. This Merlot, Berry, and Dark Chocolate Sorbet checks all of the boxes.
OK, so it does have a bit of sugar, (you need sugar when making sorbet so it doesn’t freeze solid) but other than that, it’s SO good for you! Every. Single. Ingredient. Lots of heart healthy antioxidants throughout, from loads of berries, and just a touch of red wine and dark chocolate.
Boozy sorbet? Yes, please. Sign me up. Who needs roses for Valentine’s Day? Do you have an ice cream maker? This is the one I have and I love it!
Merlot Berry and Dark Chocolate Sorbet
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup organic light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup Merlot
- 1 pound frozen mixed berries
- 2 oz good dark chocolate chopped fine
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water and wine in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add berries, and stir to break up. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes until berries are soft and mostly broken down.
- Remove from heat, and let cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill. Berry mixture can also be made the night before and chilled overnight.
- Transfer the berry mixture to the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes until thickened and mostly frozen. Add chopped chocolate and mix for another minute to distribute well.
- Freeze sorbet in a freezer safe container, for at least 2 hours or until solid.
What are you doing for Valentine’s Day? Wait. Never mind. I don’t want to know 😉