This delicious creamy tomato soup comes together in seconds and is super simple to make with only four ingredients — and not a drop of cream in sight. It's full of fresh Mediterranean tomato and basil flavor and packed with garlicky creaminess from a secret ingredient — hummus!
Hey, it's mid-October, which means there are two important questions on the minds of football fans everywhere. 1) How's your team doing? 2) What can we serve for the tailgate party?
I’ll be totally honest, I’m usually more concerned about the food than the game – unless Notre Dame (my school) or Clemson is playing (my son’s school, but since I’m on my 7th semester of college bills there, it’s kind of become my school). Last week was especially HUGE in my house– ND vs Clemson. I couldn’t decide which team to cheer for, and in the end I realized there really was no loser. Nothing like rooting for both teams! #EveryonesAWinner!
Hummus is another winner at tailgate parties, and with so many different flavors, it never gets old. It's so very easy to love as a dip with vegetables or pita chips, and apparently pretty popular with fans everywhere.
Hummus is such a great party food choice because it’s made from completely wholesome and healthy ingredients, including chickpeas. Beans are high in cholesterol-lowering fiber and an important part of that healthy Mediterranean Diet, so YES, you can stick to a healthy diet, even while tailgating.
Now that the weather is cooling down, and really feeling like tailgate temps, soup is a perfect addition to your football feast. Nothing warms cold fingers and bodies like a hot cup of soup, and this one is totally drinkable – no spoons needed just in case your tailgating involves lots of standing up and foam finger-wearing.
It’s a Mediterranean twist on cream of tomato soup. No cream is needed, because hummus makes the soup thick and creamy, while also adding delicious flavor. Bonus - it takes less than 20 minutes to make, so you won't miss a minute of the game.
Creamy Mediterranean Hummus Soup
- 1- 15 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes with basil
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup prepared pesto
- 10 ounce container of hummus plain or roasted red pepper flavor
- optional garnish: thin sliced mini sweet pepper rings and thin sliced fresh basil
- salt to taste
- Combine the crushed tomatoes, stock, pesto, and hummus in a blender and blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste the soup and season with salt as needed.
- Spoon into bowls or cups, and if desired, garnish with mini sweet pepper rings and fresh basil.
Did you know you can add hummus to soup to make it creamy and flavorful?