These super-simple cranberry chicken salad lettuce rollup sandwiches are low carb and packed with protein. They're perfect for an easy lunch or a light dinner.
In honor of National Sandwich Day, I’m shaking it up with a non-traditional take on a sandwich. This cranberry chicken salad is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken, and it features some of my favorite fall fruits – cranberries and apples.
If you think there’s something not right about a sandwich with fruit, you’re so wrong. Try it – I promise you’ll love it! The dried cranberries are chewy and the apple is crisp and they make regular old chicken salad a lot more interesting.
I used butter leaf lettuce instead of bread – it’s the perfect shape for rolling and it keeps the calories and carbs way down. Butter leaf lettuce also rolls up beautifully, nice and flexible, no cracking or tearing. Feel free to substitute a piece of whole-grain flatbread if you prefer. That’s the beauty of the sandwich. No rules!
Cranberry Chicken Salad Lettuce Rollup Sandwiches
- 4 ounces cooked chicken breast shredded (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup fat free Greek Yogurt more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 medium apple quartered and chopped
- 6 large leaves of butter lettuce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine shredded chicken breast and yogurt in a medium bowl and mix well until combined.
- Fold in apples and cranberries. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons into the center of each lettuce leaf. Fold one edge in and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining lettuce leaves.
What’s your favorite sandwich?