Grilled cheese is quick dinner and comfort food all in one. Kick it up a notch with this grown-up version of your childhood favorite
It’s time for another Recipe ReDux post, and this month’s theme is 7 Ingredients or Less. That’s my kind of a recipe, and it ranks right up there with my other favorite category -the One Pan Recipe. Even though I love to cook, if I see a long ingredient list in a recipe, I hate to admit it, but I usually can’t be bothered. Inevitably, I’m out of at least one of the ingredients, or I’ll make the entire thing, and then realize I left one (or more) of those ingredients out because I just couldn’t keep track. In short, no-brainer recipes are always best.
Does grilled cheese count as a recipe? Who cares! It sure makes a quick and tasty dinner. Let’s skip the processed cheese slices and the butter though, and go with some sharp cheddar, and creamy brie for a more grown up flavor instead. For crunch, I added some slices of sweet apple. You definitely need a thicker, heartier bread for a really good grilled cheese. I used sourdough, but a nice whole grain, nutty or seedy bread is always great too, and it can stand up to all of that cheese.
I found the most delicious sharp cheddar at Sprouts. It had chives and garlic, and OMG it was good with the apples. Sharp cheeses don’t melt as well as processed cheese, so if you need it meltier, pop the grilled sandwich in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds more and that will do the job.
- 4 slices of sourdough or hearty whole grain bread - thicker slices taste best
- about 1 tablespoon olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 ounce of brie softened at room temperature
- 3 ounces of sharp cheddar grated, at room temperature
- 1/2 sweet apple I use Gala, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Heat a nonstick frying pan to medium high heat.
- Lightly brush the olive or spray each side of each slice of bread.
- Toast one side of each slice of bread lightly in the frying pan.
- Remove the bread, and spread the brie on the toasted sides of 2 pieces of bread. Top with the cheddar and 2-3 slices of apple. Top each with the second slice of bread - toasted side down.
- Return the sandwiches to the pan, and lightly toast on each side.
- Slice each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Make sure you visit and pin these other great 7 ingredient meals from the Recipe ReDux members!
[inlinkz_linkup id=611231 mode=1]