I’ve been feeling a little bit stretched in many different directions lately because we’re moving! I’ll share details about when, where and how soon – don’t want to jinx anything. So let’s just say I have lists of things to do today, tomorrow, within a week and within a month all over the place, boxes are starting to pile up in each room, random people are stopping by my house to buy my junk treasures, and I’m trying to work and create a recipe or two for you in between it all.
So these are my favorite three words these days. No. Cook. Dinner. No, maybe five favorite words: No Cook Dinner With Leftovers! Whether you’re packing and moving, or just really busy and it’s too hot to cook, you’ll love this easy recipe that feeds a crowd, or your family for at least 2 meals. Or it can feed just you for a few meals and lunches. Feel free to adapt the ingredients to whatever vegetables or grains you have on hand. It keeps beautifully for 3-4 days in the fridge!
If you can find whole wheat orzo, use it here for more fiber and a lower glycemic index. Otherwise, feel free to use farro instead of the orzo. I used a rotisserie chicken breast, but of course, you can grill or roast your own chicken, or leave it out and keep it vegetarian.
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound package whole wheat orzo cooked according to directions and cooled
- 1 rotisserie chicken or chicken breast shredded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 1/2 bunch of scallions chopped
- 1 large english cucumber, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-12 ounce jar roasted red peppers drained and cut into thin slices
- 1 large bunch basil sliced thin
- 2-3 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a measuring cup and set aside.
- Place all salad ingredients except for feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Pour salad dressing over all, stir well and refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors blend.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over just before serving.
- Keep leftovers tightly covered for up to four days.
Do you have any favorite no cook meals? Does anyone have any tips for doing a BIG move with a cat?