Dessert hummus is a thing! And this one is packed with all the flavors of fall. Pair this Pumpkin Pie Hummus with fresh fruit and gingersnap cookies for a healthier holiday dessert.
Oh, the things you can do with chickpeas!
If you follow my blog, you've probably noticed that I have a thing for dessert hummus. Like my Chocolate Walnut Hummus. Or my Loaded Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough dessert hummus. I know you're thinking I'm crazy, but plain old savory hummus all the time gets old. Am I right? So, why not sweeten it up a bit and dip some fruit in it instead of carrots?
I had this pumpkin pie hummus idea in my head, and I just had to give it a go. So happy I did because this is SO good, and it's such an easy and healthy dessert idea.
This isn't necessarily a low carb recipe. However, it's made with mostly healthy carbs - so it's good for you and it won't spike your blood sugar. It's also kind of filling because chickpeas and pumpkin add quite a bit of fiber. And let's not forget about the health benefits of pumpkin. It's LOADED with beta carotene which is a winner of an antioxidant. It's every bit as good for your eyes as those carrots.
Who knew that chickpeas would pair so well with canned pumpkin, applesauce, almond butter and a bit of sweetener? Once I added those pumpkin pie spices it was a match made in heaven.
And I promise you can't taste any chickpeas.
I love this dessert hummus as part of a fruit platter. And it's totally perfect if you throw in some gingersnap cookies to scoop it up with.
Pumpkin Pie Dessert Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas rinsed very well
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup cinnamon apple sauce
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar or stevia, or other sweetener
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pomegranate arils to garnish
- caramel sauce to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Taste and adjust any spices or sweetener.
- Refrigerate covered until ready to serve. Stir before serving.
- If desired, sprinkle pomegranate arils and/or drizzle with caramel sauce before serving. Serve with sliced fruit and cookies
Have you ever had a dessert hummus? Do you know they sell them in some stores now?