Move over, all of you run-of-the-mill breakfast foods, there’s a new taste treat in town. In my never-ending quest for the perfect overnight oatmeal (AKA summer oatmeal) recipe, I’ve created this (not so) guilty pleasure for those of us who crave a nice thick slice of cake for breakfast, but know that’s not a great way to start off the day.
I’ve mentioned before that oatmeal is my standard breakfast, and I especially love a warm cereal when the weather is cold (nine months of the year in New England). I add lots of fruit, nuts, and a scoop of Greek yogurt and it really fills me for hours. It used to be the only thing I missed when the weather warms up. Until last year, when I discovered Summer Oatmeal on Pinterest, that is. Summer Oatmeal, or Overnight Oatmeal, is a make-ahead recipe that allows you to eat your oatmeal hot or cold, and not have to fuss with it in the morning. I guess I was late to the party on this one, because there are lots of pins for overnight oatmeal out there.
This recipe is my new favorite way to eat oats– good for you, and maybe even good enough to eat for dessert! I make it on Sunday night, and it makes a perfect 5 servings for me, so breakfast is made for the week.
[box] Tip! Eating a 1 1/2 cup serving of oatmeal each day can reduce your LDL (bad) cholesterol, and reduce your risk of heart disease.[/box]
- 1 cup Old Fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup Steel Cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk or any type of milk
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple undrained
- 2 large carrots peeled, grated and chopped fine
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1 cup fat free vanilla Greek yogurt
- 4 oz low fat cream cheese softened
- Mix all ingredients except yogurt and cream cheese in a bowl with a lid, and stir well to blend.
- Cover with a lid, and refrigerate at least overnight, and up to 1 week.
- Whisk together cream cheese and yogurt in a separate bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, place oat mixture in a bowl, and top with a scoop of the cream cheese-yogurt.