Microwave Egg Breakfast Bowls
This post is sponsored by Albertsons. Thanks for supporting brands I use and love!
Need an easy, make-ahead breakfast idea? These microwave egg breakfast bowls (or mason jars) are calling your name. Prep them the night before, and breakfast will be ready in an instant. They're truly one of those genius recipe ideas. And the best part is that they're totally customizable.
We all know it's best to start the day with a healthy meal. But we also know how hard it is to prepare something healthy when you're trying to get out the door or jump onto a Zoom meeting for work.
That's why I'm in love with this microwave egg breakfast bowl idea. They're really like individual mason jar omelets. And they're the easiest way to get a full serving (or more) of vegetables and protein at breakfast time with next to no effort.
I wish I could take credit for this idea, but it goes to my colleague at Albertsons Elaine Magee (@theRecipeDoctor on Instagram). I've been so lucky to work with her as part of her team of grocery store dietitians. She comes up with the BEST recipe ideas ever!
What I Love About These Breakfast Bowls
In addition to a colorful variety of vegetables, this recipe features lots of good-for-you O Organics® and Open Nature® products. They're Albertsons and Safeway's exclusive line of organic and natural, minimally processed products. You can find them found throughout most of the departments in their stores,. I love that they offer high quality for a very reasonable price.
I used O Organics eggs and Mexican style shredded cheese along with Open Nature Chicken & Apple sausages for a sweet-savory flavor and extra protein.
To make these ahead of time, chop up extra vegetables when you're making dinner or a salad, and layer them in mason jars along with any toppings you like. Keep them in the fridge overnight. Then, in the morning, just beat two eggs with some milk, pour it over the vegetables, give it a stir, and pop the jar right in the microwave.
If you're prepping for your family, set out the ingredients and jars, and let everyone make their own favorite combo for a customized grab and go breakfast. Here are some suggestions for fillings:
- O Organics Super Greens Blend or baby spinach
- cherry tomatoes
- sweet peppers
- chopped green onions
- Sliced Open Nature Chicken & Apple Sausage
- chopped Open Nature Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
Microwave Egg Breakfast Bowls
- ½ cup O Organics Super Greens or baby spinach shredded
- ½ cup chopped vegetables of choice mushrooms, sweet peppers, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, etc.
- ⅓ cup cooked protein of choice (optional) sliced O Organics Chicken & Apple Sausages, Open Nature Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, etc.
- 2 tablespoons O Organics shredded cheese Cheddar, Mexican Blend, Mozzarella, etc.
- 1 tablespoons chopped green onion
- ⅛ teaspoon salt-free seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Add the vegetables, protein if using, cheese, onions, and salt-free seasoning to a pint-size mason jar or a 2 cup microwave-safe bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the milk. Pour the eggs over the vegetables in the jar or bowl. Stir to combine.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. Stir with a fork and microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir one final time, and microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Eat your omelet with a clean fork right out of the jar or bowl.
Are you a breakfast prepper?
Oh, my goodness! I’m sooo doing these for breakfast! Thanks for the ideas!
Hope you enjoy them Carolyn!