It’s a good day to pull out your slow cooker and make this delicious Cheesy Chicken Asparagus Casserole. It’s the ultimate slow-cooker comfort food.
I’m totally dating myself here, but do you remember The Magic Pan? It was an ‘70-80s chain restaurant that specialized in crepes. I honestly have no idea if they only served crepes, or if they had other things on their menu, because I loved The Magic Pan for one dish, and one dish only – The Chicken Divan Crepes. I remember eating there pretty often, but I never remember eating anything but that one dish.
For some reason, I was thinking about that Chicken Divan the other day when I was trying to decide what to scrape together for dinner. Unfortunately I had no time for crepe making, and I was out of broccoli (a chicken divan staple), but I did have asparagus and the ingredients for the creamy cheese sauce, so I improvised with this version made in my slow cooker. Chicken, Mushrooms, Asparagus and Pasta in a creamy cheesy sauce is the perfect comfort food for a chilly night. While it’s not quite as fancy as the crepe version, I gotta say, it took me right back to my favorite table at the Magic Pan.
If you are inclined to try your hand at crepes, skip the pasta and spoon the deliciousness into the crepes. I think they might even make pre-made crepes…
You could, of course just cook this on the stovetop instead of in the slow cooker. Just poach the chicken ahead of time and then shred it and toss it into the sauce. Either way, it’s totally yum!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Asparagus Casserole
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1-12 ounce can reduced fat evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1- 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups pasta shells
- 3/4 pound of asparagus tough stems snapped off
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker, cover, and set to low.
- Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Melt the butter and add the flour. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk, water and chicken base. Continue to whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and continue to cook for about 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Add the mushrooms, pasta, and asparagus, and continue to cook for about 30 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir the pasta a few times while cooking. If there is not enough liquid, add up to 1/2 cup additional water for the pasta.
- Sprinkle the cheese over, and stir to combine and melt. Add salt to taste and serve.
Did you ever eat at the Magic Pan? What was your favorite dish?