This post was created in partnership with PB2 Foods. Thanks for supporting the brands I love and use!
A mug cake is a quick and easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth. This one features apples and spice along with PB2 Performance Almond Protein Powder for a guilt-free treat that packs an extra protein punch!
You know that feeling right after you finish your dinner but you don’t quite feel finished because you NEED just a few bites of something sweet?
I so envy people who don’t know that feeling, because I have a sweet tooth. I usually eat a piece of fruit. Most of the time, that does it, and the feeling goes away. Sometimes, however, I want something more than another piece of fruit.
If you can relate, I’ve got two words for you Mug. Cake. Or is it one word? Mugcake…?
Either way, it’s a sweet treat that bakes up in about 90 seconds and is just the right size to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Mug cakes are the answer to your prayers if you 1) Don’t feel like legit baking, and 2) Don’t care to have an entire cake sitting in your kitchen calling your name all day.
The other nice thing about mug cakes is you can make them any flavor you like and you can also add healthy ingredients. You should also know, they never come out very pretty, and many people prefer them slightly undercooked and gooey inside. It’s all OK. That’s why you eat it right out of a mug.
No one’s here to judge you.
On the scale of “I’ll start eating healthy tomorrow” to “I’m making super-healthy choices”, I’d rate this apple spice mug cake toward the healthier choices side. That’s because it has a serving of fruit, just a tiny bit of flour, and it’s packed with healthy fats, protein and fiber, from olive oil, an egg and PB2 Performance Almond Protein Powder.
Yes, you read that right – PB2 Foods, the company that makes that amazing powdered peanut and almond butter that you can stir into your smoothie, also makes protein powder.
Here’s the scoop (and what you get in a 2-scoop Serving)
- 20 grams of plant-based almond and brown rice protein
- All of the essential amino acids
- 18% of your Daily Value for iron, 17% for calcium, and 11% for potassium
- 7 grams of fiber!
- Delicious Madagascar vanilla flavor that’s sweetened with monk fruit extract
Even though I’m calling this an apple spice mug cake, it could also be a mug snack. Or even a mug breakfast – especially if you add a scoop of plain Greek yogurt and a handful of chopped nuts. I’ll leave it up to you if you want to add a drizzle of caramel sauce.
I won’t tell if you don’t.
Apple Spice Protein Mug Cake
- 1 large apple
- 2 tablespoons PB2 Performance Almond Protein Powder
- 4 tablespoons flour wheat or gluten-free
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons milk cows milk or plant milk
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or desired sweetener more or less to taste
- Peel and chop the apple into small (1/2-inch pieces). Place them in a ramekin and microwave for 1 minute.
- Combine the PB2 Almond Protein Powder, flour, baking powder, and allspice in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the beaten egg, olive oil, milk, maple syrup, and apples, and stir well to combine the ingredients. The batter will be thick.
- Transfer the batter to a large, microwave-safe mug that holds at least 12 ounces, or two smaller coffee cups that hold at least 6 ounces.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes and 30 seconds for the 12-ounce portion, or 90 seconds for each 6-ounce portion. If making the 2 (6-ounce) portions, microwave them individually.
- Remove the mug carefully, as the handle may be hot. Top with Greek yogurt, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of caramel sauce if desired.
Have you tried PB2 products? What’s your favorite, and how do you use it?