It’s time for another Recipe ReDux post, and this month’s theme is ~ “Beverages Are Hot. Whether you’re serving up something hot or cool, kid-friendly or happy hour worthy, show us your healthier drink.”
It’s true that sometimes browsing over the drinks menu is just as great as the eats menu. I love when restaurants are cleaver and creative with their cocktails and go out of their way to make their nonalcoholic drinks fun and interesting.
A few months ago I experimented with Spiced Candied Ginger, and was left with the most delicious ginger syrup as a tasty by-product of that recipe. It was too good to discard, so I ended up using it in tea, and splashed in seltzer water, and in this completely delicious and amazing Ginger Pear Martini.
I know the Recipe ReDuxers asked us to make it healthy…but sometimes you just need a fun and festive mixed drink. For my your mental health. Just sayin’.
Ginger actually is quite healthy. It’s got great antimicrobial properties, and has long been used for colds, flu, and to calm an upset stomach. If you prefer a non-alcoholic version of this drink, no worries, I’ve got you covered! And honestly, it’s just as good as the martini version.
For Ginger Syrup
- 1/2 pound fresh ginger peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch round slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ounce ginger syrup see instructions below
- 1 ounce pear nectar
- 1 ounce pear liqueur
- 3 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce ginger syrup
- 2 ounce pear nectar
- 8 ounces plain or pear seltzer
- Place sugar, water and sliced ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer ginger for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Strain ginger, reserving syrup.
- Pour syrup into a drink container with a lid, and refrigerate until cool. Syrup can be made several days ahead.
- For martini, mix all ingredients with a few pieces of ice, in a martini shaker, and pour into 2 glasses.
- For mocktail, stir ingredients together and pour over glass with ice.
Bottoms Up! And be sure to check out what the other members of the Recipe Redux are drinking!
[inlinkz_linkup id=366965 mode=1]