Three words. One. Pot. Meal. There is nothing that I love more than a delicious meal with minimal clean up. I mean who doesn’t right?
As much as I love to cook, I really hate a cooking mess even more. Any mess actually. That’s becasue I might or might not have a touch of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I’m not the kind of OCD that has to wash my hands a thousand times a day or turn on and of the light switch or anything like that. Most people (I think) find me to be fairly normal. Except for the fact that my house has to be completely in order at all times. I get really stressed out if there’s clutter on the counter, or dirt on the floor, or dishes in the sink. And of course all beds must be made before leaving the house. The funny thing is, I couldn’t care less if other people’s homes are messy. I just need my space to be spotless. It’s kind of like the one thing I can control when the rest of my life is crazy.
OK we both know there are LOTS of worse things I could have. I’m pretty sure my friends and family are not going to stage an intervention or check me into rehab over the fact that the house is too clean. But I do drive them crazy because no one is allowed to cook unless they promise to continually clean up after themselves and leave the kitchen completely sparkling. Which pretty much means no one is allowed to cook.
Unless it’s a One Pan Meal. I of course love them because I can cook at a leisurely pace, maybe even sip some wine while I cook, without having to put on my rubber gloves to scrub a pot after every step. My husband loves them because he gets to test his culinary skills every so often without having me hover over him with the sponge and paper towels. It’s a win for everyone!
Except for the cutting board and knife, this Farro with Sundried Tomatoes and Arugula truly is all prepared in one sauté pan. If you serve it in paper bowls and you store the leftovers in the same pan, you can even get away with just cleaning the forks! Heaven 🙂 Just kidding. I would never have room in my fridge for that pan. FYI this is also a great Meatless Monday or Plant-Powered dinner option.
Not only is it a One Pan Meal – it’s also on the table in 30 minutes. Does that qualify as fast food?
One Pan Farro With Sundried Tomatoes and Arugula
- 2 large shallots diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup julienned sundried tomatoes packed in herbs, drained
- 8 oz uncooked Farro 1 1/4 cups
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups loosely packed arugula
- 4--5 large fresh basil leaves sliced thin
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese optional
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan, and sauté shallots for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat until golden.
- Add sundered tomatoes and farro and sauté for about 30 seconds to toast farro.
- Add vegetable broth, stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes or until Farro is tender.
- Stir in arugula and basil and let wilt.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add cheese if desired.
- Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.